Why Susan Mallery is so smart
Author Susan Mallery has a minseries called Lone Star Sisters being published in the next three months: UNDER HER SKIN (May), LIP SERVICE (June), STRAIGHT FROM THE HIP (July) and HOT ON HER HEELS (November). I’ve always been a fan of her books but why I think she’s so smart is that she wrote an eBook prequel to the series.
This is the book description: Who can tame the wildest man in Titanville?
Zeke Titan has a reputation for breaking hearts, but the townspeople of Titanville can’t deny all the good he’s done for them. So they turn the other cheek as he seduces one schoolteacher after another. Until Alethea Harbaugh comes to town.
The new teacher brings with her a passion for women’s rights that invigorates the ladies of Titanville, and instills fear in the men. Zeke is intent on seducing her, if only to send her running, ruined, from the town so that things can return to normal. But Zeke just might have met his match…in more ways than one!
MEET THE MAN WHO STARTED A LEGACY IN WILD HEARTS…AND THEN READ SUSAN MALLERY’S PRESENT-DAY TITAN STORIES, BEGINNING IN MAY 2009 WITH UNDER HER
This is why I think these digital prequels are so cool:
- they let readers “sample” your writing at low cost and low time commitment
- it’s a hook into your series
- eBook prequels are unique. While we have published several at Harlequin the market is not glutted with them
- the author can have a lot of fun writing about her series from a different angle
- the publisher can promote the prequel as an entry point to more books (sometimes we even give them away for free for a limited time!)
Of course, Susan’s not the only author who has seized this opportuntiy. We have published similar stories from Gena Showalter THE DARKEST FIRE and THE AMAZON’S CURSE, Ryannon Byrd EDGE OF CRAVING and Jennifer LaBreque‘s TRIPLE THREAT.
The book went on sale yesterday and I just thought it was really cool how creative we can be in the digital space.